Join in #SunSafeSummer by Sharing Your Story
Keep the ball rolling and help find a cure for skin cancer! Print your own beach ball. And learn more about how you can play it safe this summer with our tips below! Don’t forget to visit our Facebook page, too!
15 #SunSafeSummer Ideas for 2015
- Make wearing sunscreen a daily habit, like brushing your teeth!
- Seek shade during the mid-day sun, from 10 am – 4 pm.
- Never use tanning beds; usage is linked to higher rates of melanoma.
- Check your skin regularly to recognize changes early.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen (protects against UVA and UVB rays) with an SPF of at least 30. Use water-resistant lotions if you will be in the water.
- Use sunglasses to protect your eyes from sun damage and cataracts.
- Avoid sunburns by reapplying sunscreen after being in the water or after physical activity, generally every 2 hours.
- Sport sun-protective clothes like long sleeve shirts and pants.
- Wear hats with a wide brim that shade your face, ears and neck.
- Umbrellas are you own personal shade machines; bring them to events where you will be spending time outdoors.
- Don’t forget to apply sunscreen to all areas including your head, neck, ears, feet and back of your legs.
- Choose cosmetics and contacts that offer UV protection.
- Remember that sand, water and snow reflect sunlight and increase the amount of UV radiation exposure.
- Even on cloudy or hazy days, UV rays reach the ground and your skin, so protect yourself as you would on a sunny day.
- Donate to Skin of Steel at www.skinofsteel.org to help advance research on the most complex form of cancer, melanoma.